16 November, 2011

Japanese Animal Noises

I realized I learned many Japanese words and slangs from various students. It's always fun to learn new Japanese words . It brings you closer to the Japanese culture, unlike from only listening to Japanese songs and watching Japanese anime and movies.

The learning experience is direct since you hear it from the student. You can get clear explanations and opinions from them. It's like having your own 3-minute Japanese teacher.

I've already blogged about two Japanese expressions not so long ago. This time, I want to share to you how certain animal sounds sound like in Japanese.

  1. Chicken= ko ko ko ke ko
  2. Dog= wan-wan
  3. Cat= nyaa~~ nyaa~~
I learned those from different students who have heard those animal sounds from my background. The chicken is on top of the list since our chicken goes off like a broken alarm clock. Second on the list is the dog because the neighbor's dog barks like there's no tomorrow. Third is the cat because there was one time when one of our felines had a litter and she left one kitten to starve. It meowed, or "nyaaed" for three days or so. Students who have heard those animals have immediately asked me "What's that ko ko ko ke ko?" or "Do you have a dog?" or "I can hear nyaa~~ nyaa~~". I always apologetically answer for the disturbance. But they always say they don't mind and would further discuss about the animal that they heard.

Technically, HBOETs need to have a quiet environment. But there are days that some noises that cannot be shunned away. So, HBOETs only need to apologize for that. It's good though that most students are not so huffy about such noises. Again, as much as possible, it's good to have a very quiet environment conducive for teaching.

As for animal noises, I'm crossing my fingers on what counter part the sound of the gecko has in Japanese. (^O^)Y

No comments:

Post a Comment