31 May, 2012

Being Busy-Japanese Style

I sometimes ask some working students (in our online school) if they are busy. They sometimes say, not really. I also ask if they go on overtime. They sometimes say, they do most of the time. "Then you are busy!", I usually exclaim. "But not so busy", they usually contradict. I always end up thinking what is "busy" for Japanese employees.

Till one new student defined what is busy for them. He said that if a Japanese employee is busy, they go home late, riding the last train at night or driving home at an ungodly hour. If they go home around 1900 or anytime before 2300, then they are not busy, even if they go on overtime for 2-3 hours. He also added that some companies do not offer a paid overtime. He thinks this is so, so that the the employee will have to focus on doing the work on itself and not prolong the work because of a paid overtime. That makes sense now.

"Here in the Philippines, overtime is always paid," I told him. He said, "You are lucky but the efficiency and productivity will not be so good." I have to agree with him on that.

I think I can say that I somehow understand what is busy for Japanese employees. From what my student said, I can somehow conclude that Japanese are very hardworking.

It's being hardworking that I always hope for Filipinos and me to conquer.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment