09 July, 2012

Nicknames

When I ask students if they have nicknames, they will always say "Nothing" or a short version of their names. I already know that but it's interesting to know their answers. In rare case, though, some will say they have nicknames.

One of my students last night will go to Thailand within this year for business. I told him that Thais like to have nicknames. (I got the information from one of my other students. He was given a nickname by his Thai friends when he was working there.) I also told him that Filipinos like to have nicknames. So, if he would come here his nickname would be No-no, taken from his real name. He smiled at the suggestion and asked, "If Thais will ask me what's the meaning of my name, I cannot explain it."Just say, no, no," I told him. He laughed.

Generally, students say that nicknames in Japan are only for children. Well, except in some rare cases like those two students mentioned. I remembered that one of my elementary teachers said, the sweetest name one can have is your own first name. I guess somehow, that's the way for Japanese....

No comments:

Post a Comment