08 September, 2012

Distaste For Others

It still is a typical work load even if I have a different schedule. It's still summer in Japan and students still complain about the heat. I have already stopped asking them about how they cool themselves or what they eat in summer, except for those whom I got rare chances to have lessons with. After summer, there will be autumn, and I guess it will be still typical for me.

One good thing with my routinely schedule is that, I can grasp those special things or special complaints, I should say, from students. Like today, I had a lesson with a this cheerful student. Let's name her K. She has already mentioned before that she has a particular distaste against Chinese and Koreans. With today's lesson, however, she expressed it vividly. She said that she hopes in the future, we (I guess she is referring to Japanese) will have a safe planet that is free from Chinese and Koreans. I asked her why and she said that she has been hearing and reading news about Chinese and Koreans cause a lot of crimes in Japan. I laughed to myself. I know everyone is entitled with their opinions, that's why I just listened to her while she was expressing her feelings towards that particular race. I just can't believe I would hear it from her, who has a kind and sweet voice and a cheerful character. I asked her if there are any Chinese or Koreans in her neighborhood, unfortunately no. I guess, she has a one-sided view of them. But I didn't expressed my reaction to her opinion.

I believe, regardless of the race, ethnicity, and nationality, people are people. People do bad things wherever they are, may it be there home country or abroad. It saddens me that some people have a general view of others. I guess it can't be avoided. It's just after all human nature.

As I've mentioned, I didn't say my reaction to what she said. It's her opinion and I respect it, even though it saddens me that there is a generalization. Teachers are usually encouraged not to raise controversial topics such as religion. I personally avoid topics about the connection of Philippine and Japan historically. But when I do, I try to be objective as much as possible. Thank God, I haven't met students who do not bash the rare instances of such underground topics.

K talked about it for almost all of the lesson time. I just listened to her and bid her good fortune. In my mind, I hoped her to be open about other races and nationalities because it's not about that that define a person.


No comments:

Post a Comment